Sunday, June 21, 2009

Cosmic Crosses

This is a series of (3) "cosmic gelly" pieces that I have finished over the last week. Two of them are on 11"x14" plywood and one is on a 10"x10" gallery wrapped canvas. I finished the first 2 big ones, and hated how they came out. I thought they were too dark and random, and didn't have the same interesting shapes as ones I had done in the past. I don't know if I didn't use enough different colors, or what but I was not happy. Then I decided to start the process all over again with the cross. I taped off the cross shape, and kept the gel gloss inside, put some texture on it and let it dry. I then followed with the charcoal and acrylic paints.
I started the smaller canvas knowing it would be part of this cross series, so I had alot more detail. This one turned out to be sort of a calvary scene, with the crosses on either side and some random textures that looked like they could be people at the foot. I also had a hard time getting good pictures of these. Using the high gloss gel medium, every phot I took, inside or out, had alot of glare. These were the best images from 3 days of trying.

No comments: